This classic desert is as safe a bet as any. It’s simple, keep-able, and most importantly very, very chocolaty. Older people might describe it as ‘wicked’ or ‘naughty’, but it’s definitely not as bad as homicide. I like to add a tang of orange zest to the mix and to serve it with a Cointreau ‘digestive’. Although you’d probably be better off doing a 10k run.
75g egg yolk
75g caster sugar
200g dark chocolate 70%
200ml double cream
200ml whipping cream
Zest of 1 orange
- Place the yolks, sugar and Cointreau into a metal bowl and whisk over a pan of simmering water.
- Whisk until the eggs double in volume and leave a ribbon when your remove the whisk.
- Cool over a basin of cold water.
- Break up the chocolate and place into a small bowl.
- Boil the milk and pour over the chocolate. Using a spoon bring together to form a smooth thin ganach, then leave to cool.
- Zest the orange using a microplane into a large bowl.
- Add the double cream and whipping cream and whisk until lightly whipped.
- Add the yolk mixture and chocolate to the cream and gently fold everything together using a spatula.
- Once everything is incorporated pour the mixture out into glasses and leave to set in the fridge.